In celebration of hip-hop’s 50th anniversary, the Long Beach Public Library is hosting several hip hop-themed events throughout September and October.
The Hip Hop Celebration: 50th Anniversary Series will recognize the history and impact of hip-hop throughout Long Beach and Southern California as well as internationally.
The celebration will begin on Sept. 23 with a special kick-off event followed by a five-week workshop series aimed at tweens and teens. Workshops will focus on the four primary elements of hip hop: breakdancing, DJing, MCing and art.
“Long Beach has a deep connection to the roots of West Coast hip-hop. We are incredibly excited to mark this historic occasion and honor the genre’s incredible journey over the past five decades,” said Mayor Rex Richardson in a statement from the City. “This celebration is not only a tribute to the culture’s rich heritage but also an opportunity to inspire and empower the next generation of artists and enthusiasts.”
The workshops will feature local artists and give attendees hands-on experiences to learn the historical and cultural evolution of hip-hop.
“Through the workshop series, the Library aims to foster creativity, self-expression and teamwork within our community’s young minds,” said Director of Library Services Cathy De Leon in a statement from the City. “We hope to create an inclusive space where participants can cultivate their passion for hip-hop and embrace the spirit of collaboration that this culture embodies.”
The Hip Hop Celebration: 50th Anniversary Series includes the following workshops:
- DJing & Producing – Thursday, Sept. 28 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. – Teens and tweens will learn the elements of DJing and producing through the production of sounds. Learn how to create fat synth basslines and soulful keys at Los Altos Library (5614 E. Britton Dr.).
- Street Art & Music – Tuesday, Oct. 3 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. – Teens and tweens will get hands-on teaching and learn the basics of graffiti art at Bret Harte Neighborhood Library (1595 W. Willow St.).
- Street Art & Music – Tuesday, Oct. 10 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. – A continuation of the Oct. 3 workshop, teens and tweens will learn the basics of graffiti art at Bret Harte Neighborhood Library (1595 W. Willow St.).
- MCing & Music – Tuesday, Oct. 17 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. – Teens and tweens will learn the elements of DJing and MCing and become master lyricists through rhyme and rhythm at Burnett Neighborhood Library (560 E. Hill St.).
- Break Dancing & Music – Wednesday, Oct. 25 from 4 to 5:30 p.m. – Teens and tweens will learn the elements of breakdancing by learning how to pop, lock and move to music from the golden era of ‘90s Hip Hop at Michelle Obama Neighborhood Library (5870 Atlantic Ave.).
The Hip Hop Celebration: 50th Anniversary Series will begin with a kick-off event at the Recreation Park bandshell, located at 4900 E. Seventh St., on Saturday, Sep. 23 from noon to 4 p.m. The event is open to all ages and will feature music, a panel discussion with industry experts, special guests and a teen dance competition.
For more information about the LBPL’s upcoming hip-hop anniversary events, visit lbpl.org or call (562) 570-7500.